6502 running at 1.79 MHz.
The PPU (Picture Processing Unit) is used for graphic. It supports 64 sprites and the data for them is specified in 256 bytes of Object Attribute Memory (OAM). There is a max limit of 8 sprites on a scan line.
A single background layer can be used and scrolled in the X and Y axis.
There is a built-in palette of 54 colors.
2 KB of RAM. 16-bit address space with RAM at $0000 to $0800 and the rest of it for the other devices.
APU (Audio Processing Unit)
Five sound channels in total. Two square wave, one triangle wave, one noise channel and one delta modulation channel. The delta is the only one that can play back samples from memory.
- The Nintendo Entertainment System's Loading Seam - 2017
- Super Nintendo Entertainment System Features -2016
- 01: Graphics & Palettes
- 02: Objects
- I made an NES emulator. Here’s what I learned about the original Nintendo. - 2015
- Programming the Nintendo Entertainment System - 2014
- The Making of: ROM City Rampage (Retro City Rampage) - 2013
- NsesDev Wiki
- 6502 CPU Reference
- Adventures in Retro Development: SNES Edition