Is it playing like we designed it to?
Game metric is where you collect data about the game as people play it and than analyze the data to try to make the gameplay experience better. The three core steps is telemetry, archive and data mining.
Most players do not approve of excessive data collection that run run on the players hardware. There are some basic things that can be done to make them hate you less.
- Give players a way to opt-out of all or part of the data collection.
- 15 Metrics All Game Developers Should Know by Heart - 2015
- Game Analytics From A Game Designer’s Perspective - 2015
- Everything you need to know about interpreting KPIs - 2015
- Applying Data Mining to Extract Design Patterns from Unreal Tournament Levels - 2014
- Behavior Evolution in Tomb Raider Underworld - 2013
- Comparison of Human and AI Bots in StarCraft with Replay Data Mining - 2013
- Spatial Game Analytics and -Visualization - 2013
- Player Profiling with Fallout 3 - 2012
- Predicting Player Behavior in Tomb Raider: Underworld - 2010
- Standard Gameplay and IAP Metrics for Mobile Games - 2010 Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3
- Design Testing: The use of addiction metrics to force rapid evolution of innovative game designs - 2005