This section it about how to render 3D graphics. When you finally understand part of it someone has found a better way and you need to learn it again. Enjoy.
Triangles Are Precious - Let's Treat Them With Care
3D Game Rendering 101
Applying for Entry Level Graphics Jobs in Games
This is how the 3D data itself is represented. The most common way is to use polygons and many of the others end up using polygons to draw things in the end.
- Culling - Choose what is visible so you do not have to send everything in the world to the graphics card.
- LOD - If something is far away use less details to draw it.
- Imposters - If something is Really far away use a image of it instead.
- Billboard - Draw something that is always facing the camera. Used by particle system and imposters.
- Animation - Make things move.
- Blending - How will the things you send to the graphic card interact with the things that are already drawn.
- Texture - Images that you can use on objects and many other strange things.
- Shaders - How the strange things are done with textures.
- Material - The combination of shaders, textures and all other parameters to draw an object.
- Shadows - How to find out if a light hits a part of a surface...
- Lighting - ... and if it do how much light get there from the light.
- Architecture - How to design and setup the rendering part of a engine.
- Deferred Rendering - Pick the order to cull, light and texture your surfaces.
- Z-Buffer - How the hardware keep track of the distance to the things you draw.
- Anti-aliasing - Try to hide the fact that you use small pixels to show things on the screen.
- Ray tracing - Rendering where you start at each pixel and look out into the world to see what is visible at it.
- Post Process - Tweak your completed rendered image so it looks like you want it.
- Characters - You are used to look at people, that's what makes them hard to render.
- Effects - What cool effects can you do. Learn how the classic ones was made.
- Compute - Using compute on the GPU for rendering.
- Game Articles - Articles about specific games or engines.
Get More From Your Games: A Beginner's Guide to Graphics Settings - 2013
Terminology Rant - 2008
Checkerboard rendering, rotated anti-aliasing and grid frequencies - 2018
4K Checkerboard in Battlefield 1 and Mass Effect Andromeda - 2017
Interior Mapping: rendering real rooms without geometry - 2018
Shader Showcase Saturday #9: Interior Mapping - 2018
How to make a fake interior effect with unity using reflection probes - 2018
Readings on the State of the Art in Rendering - 2018
Intro to GPU Scalarization – Part 1 and Part 2 - 2018
The Poor Man's 3D Camera - 2017
Console quality game rendering on mobile - 2017
Should we get rid of Vertex Buffers? - 2017
FrameGraph: Extensible Rendering Architecture in Frostbite - 2017
radeonsi: out-of-order rasterization on VI+ - 2017
Efficient GPU Rendering of Subdivision Surfaces - 2016
Easy GPU Buffer updating wrapper - 2016
Wrapping up the Graphics Device - 2016
GPU-Driven Rendering Pipelines - 2015
GPU-Based Scene Generation for Flight Simulation - 2015
Iñigo Quílez Articles - 2015
Creating Content to Drive Destiny’s Investment Game: One Solution to Rule Them All - 2014
How to make a rendering engine - 2014
The State of Rendering - 2013
What no one told you about the videocard: lagging 1 frame behind - 2011
Rendering Technology at Black Rock Studios - 2009
Building a Modern Engine for the Visual Simulation Industry - 2009
Animation and physics sitting in a tree - 2009
SceneTree's - 2009. The world is not a SceneTree , Characters are a special sort of tree but not a SceneTree , The world is... the world
GPU-driven rendering (SIGGRAPH 2015 follow up)
Programmable vertex fetching and index buffering
Depth Proxy Transparency Rendering - 2017
Revisiting the Vertex Cache: Understanding and Optimizing Vertex Processing on the modern GPU - 2018
On-the-fly Vertex Reuse for Parallel Software Geometry Processing - 2018
Frostbite on Mobile - 2015
Mobile Graphics 101 - 2018
=== Optimize size
Making an animation 18 bytes at a time - 2018
SIGGRAPH 2020 Links - 2020
Happy New Year From Activision Research - 2020
Lima Oscar Delta! Scaling Content in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - 2020
Performance speed limits - 2019
What has your microcode done for you lately? - 2019
Render Graph Optimization Scribbles - 2019
What's up with my branch on GPU? - 2019
Real-Time Continuous Level of Detail Rendering of Point Clouds - 2019
SampleZoo - Simple implementations of sampling patterns, with objective tests to compare them - 2019
Advances in Rendering, Graphics Research and Video Game Production - 2019
Halcyon: Rapid innovation using modern graphics – Reboot Develop 2019
3D Game Rendering 101 - 2019
Live Long and Render - 2019 - Part1, Part2, Part3, Part4, Part5, Part6 and Part7
Maximizing Rendering Efficiency - 2018
readings on the state of the art in rendering - 2018
Analyzing Modern Rendering - 2018
Real-World Measurements for Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - 2018
HDR in Call of Duty - 2018
Turing Texture Space Shading - 2018
High-Performance Graphics 2018 - 2018
Shading Atlas Streaming - 2018
Automated Testing in Call of Duty - 2018
PIX Release 2008.26 – Our biggest update to GPU captures since - 2017
Rendering of Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare - 2017
Improved Culling for Tiled and Clustered Rendering in Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare - 2017
Emotion Challenge: Building a New Photoreal Facial Performance Pipeline for Games - 2017
Efficient GPU Rendering of Subdivision Surfaces - 2016
ATVI-TR-16-02: Practical Order Independent Transparency - 2016
Directed graph traversal, orderings and applications to data-flow analysis - 2015
Minimal setup screen space quads: No buffers/layouts required - 2012
Open Problems in Real-time Rendering - The Value of Pixel$ - 2012
Skeletal Animation Looping with Autocorrelation - 2012
Advances in Rendering, Graphics Research and Video Game Production
Mitsuba 2: A Retargetable Forward and Inverse Renderer
Using Nsight Systems for Fixing Stutters in Games
Getting started with Radeon Memory Visualizer (RMV)
Rendering to Texture
Color masks and occluders
The Last of Us Part II, material blending, the SDF of a plane.
Rules for a Future-Proof 2D Render Order
The Center of the Pixel is (0.5,0.5)
6.837: Introduction to Computer Graphics (fall 2020)
Open Problems in Real-Time Rendering
Why are video games graphics (still) a challenge? Productionizing rendering algorithms
Cameras and Lenses
[video] Moving Mobile Graphics - SIGGRAPH 2020 Course
Softening polygon intersections in Blightbound
Accelerating Unstructured Mesh Point Location with RT Cores
Introduction to Computer Graphics